« Home | Giggles at the Dollar Store » | You can't go home, the night is young, I'm blackin... » | The weekend I relaxed » | Happy birthday to me (3 days ago) » | 31 is fun » | Birthday plans for Bex » | A Birthday Present! » | Happy Birthday Cuz! » | Five Guilty Pleasures » | Thanks »

Some spring cleaning

I have a stack of books and DVDs to return. If you see something of yours here, hold your pants on, they're a-comin'.

 

But first, here's my brief review of each item pictured here before it goes home to its rightful owner:

How to Master the Art of Selling: I don't know about this one, The Hub borrowed it and read it. He said it's pretty old-school selling techniques, but some good info.

Le Mariage - Diane Johnson: After enjoying Le Divorce, I just couldn't get into this one. I tried a couple of times, but I found it sort of boring. It's not a follow-up of Le Divorce, it actually has nothing to do with Le Divorce at all, except for the French/American relationship/romance element. I skipped ahead and read some of the later parts of the book, and it still didn't hook me.

I am David - Anne Holm: I bought this book on Amazon because my teacher read it to our class in grade 5, and I remembered snippets of it and wanted to read the entire story again. It was not nearly as good as I remembered. The writing was a little weak, although the story is meant for a younger audience. It's the story of a boy in a concentration camp who escapes and it follows his adventures on his way to find his mother.

The Stepford Wives - Ira Levin: I was really excited to read this book after all I'd heard about it, and given the fact that "Stepford Wives" is a phrase used to describe "perfect housewives." I was disappointed. Maybe I would have appreciated it a bit more in the 60's or 70's when women's lib was different than it is now, but I find the whole "men are out to get us" theme a bit fanatical. (I have not seen the movie.)

The Matrix Reloaded: Never watched it. I did enjoy the original Matrix movie when it came out in theatres, but I haven't seen any of the sequels. I've heard mixed reviews on them, but I just never bothered to watch this one that I've had for literally a year and a half. It's just been sitting on my shelf.

The Big Lebowski: Hubby and I heard so many good reviews of this movie, and we were looking forward to watching it. I did like it, but I wasn't bowled over. It was funny and entertaining, but not one of my favourite movies ever. It's about this loser who gets mixed up in a mob hit, and of course manages to work things out.

The Devil Wears Prada - Lauren Weisberger- : This book is so popular, and gets great reviews, but I hated it! A girl who gets a job at a magazine as the self-absorbed, superbitch Editor-in-Chief's personal assistant has to deal with the boss from hell. Could have been funny, but wasn't. Kept wondering why she didn't just QUIT!! Hello?! Got annoying how all the other employees cowered in fear of this bitch. Didn't enjoy the book.

How to Be Good - Nick Hornby: This is one of the better books I've ever read. I loved it. Laughed out loud in a couple of parts, even. Hubby and I had to fight over it because we were reading it at the same time and couldn't put it down. It's about a woman who is in a lacklustre marriage, and in the process of deciding whether to split up, the concept of what "being good" means comes into play while her depressed husband makes some changes in his life, and hopes to change the world, with the help of his new best friend and guru, GoodNews. This book hads gotten mixed reviews and people often compare it poorly next to High Fidelity (which ironically I haven't managed to finish yet)and find it to be too sarcastic - which I think is what I liked about it. Deliciously nasty in some parts, very funny and enjoyable. I almost hate to return it.

The Stepford Wives and I am David are up for grabs. If you want it, you got it, just email me and let me know. Just make sure you give me your feedback after you read them. Posted by Picasa

The Devil Wears Prada. I hated it as well. I just never got the feeling that she really was that bitchy. I didn't know what the big deal was. Whatever.

How To Be Good. Took me about four tries to get all the way through. I just wasn't feelin' it. I enjoyed every other Hornby book I've read more. Funny...

You should bookcrossing I Am David!

I'm sorry...is that my big lebowski? and if so...did you write it in the book?

I liked The Big Lebowski. The whole rug thing cracks me up. It's great for brainless comedy when I've had a stressful day.

Bex, I totally agree on The Devil Wears Prada, biggest waste of my money ever.

Carly - yup, I did think of Bookcrossing it - you just reminded me. I'll do it this week!

Aims - yes, it's yours. Hubby borrowed it, so I don't know if it got "written in the book" but I'll bring it back for you.

Dawn (and Carly) - Another thing about the Devil Wears Prada, I did think she was bitchy, but you know I really felt it was more like, why should anyone have to run around and bow down to her when she just treats everyone with such disrespect? The whole way through the book I kept thinking, "Just quit!"

Post a Comment