« Home | Diamonds are for losers » | Some spring cleaning » | Giggles at the Dollar Store » | You can't go home, the night is young, I'm blackin... » | The weekend I relaxed » | Happy birthday to me (3 days ago) » | 31 is fun » | Birthday plans for Bex » | A Birthday Present! » | Happy Birthday Cuz! »

Death Cab, 2; Franz, 1

So. The show the other night.

I really didn't prepare myself to enjoy Death Cab for Cutie that much. I had downloaded Death Cab's iTunes Originals and quite honestly found it boring. Franz Ferdinand, on the other hand, I was sort of excited to see, although I had been this close to downloading their album several times but just wasn't sure I'd like it (based on the sample tracks on iTunes) so I figured the show would help me decide once and for all.

So basically I went with very different opinions that those that I came out with.

We arrived when Death Cab was already on stage, and I was immediately surprised at how much they rock out. I kept thinking of Carly's statement about Jack Johnson last summer, that he "plays some pretty boring music." But I was immediately intrigued. I recognized the songs, but they sounded way better, and were played with more heart than what I remembered hearing on my computer at home.

I loved the set. Probably my favourite set of all time. A city lights backdrop with white trees, and two white houses (which halfway through the show I leaned to Carly and said, "I want to live in those houses." To which she responded, "I was just thinking the same thing! We could be neighbours!")

During the string of three songs that Carly mentioned, they played an extension of the ending to Crooked Teeth (I think?), and I turned to her at the end and said, "That was beautiful," and she showed me her hands, which were shaking. They were really good - even though I felt the ending was sort of drawn out too much.

So Death Cab for Cutie, 2 points after starting out with none.

Franz Ferdinand, however, divided Carly and I. Franz as a band weren't really compelling performers; but their music is high energy; so as Carly said, you could be fooled into thinking they are great performers because they have a lot to work with - they had great lighting and the music was good, but they just stand there, which reminded me of seeing Oasis last year. Between songs when they chatted up the crowd they seemed like nice guys, happy to be there, so that earned them points with me. And I felt there were moments where there was some energy, and I loved how the place erupted when they played "Take Me Out." (But it didn't compare to the rush of seeing the crowd go crazy at Audioslave when they busted out the Rage Against the Machine songs.)

Franz Ferdinand, one point just for being happy to be there and rocking out on "Take Me Out."

But Carly and I did agree on one thing: they butchered "Do You Want To". It just didn't have the "punch" that you would expect after hearing it at home or on the radio. I was disappointed. And after playing those two songs within the first five of the show, I couldn't call it anything other than blowing their load.

We did some people watching, as we decided to forgo our seats and just stood in the back, where we could enjoy the view. I saw the nerdiest looking kid, glasses, skinny, red-faced with a nerdy short haircut, wearing a shirt that said, "Playa" and I wanted to cry, because he so wasn't a playa. It actually made me sad for him! We also saw two of the guys from Hot Hot Heat, who I heard have moved here to Vancouver from Victoria. And we made fun of the gangs of kids who all come to the show together, buy the same concert t-shirt, and wear them while they walk around during the show! Dorks!

We ducked out of the show early since Franz had done all the songs we wanted to see, and went for food at Milestone's where we discussed "The Plan." Had some good laughs and of course the usual discussions and critiques. A fun night.

Finally.

I said that they had a lot to work with *only* when it came to Take Me Out. The rest of it was boring and I hate them.

I totally forgot the Hot Hot Heat boys. I was thinking of posting that story I told you about them. Think it's worth it?

And we both forgot the quote of the night "And it didn't even make me..."

Post a Comment