« Home | The man not in the mirror » | Breast IS best - what side are you on? » | It's all about choices » | Please hold » | Happy Canada Day! » | Getting connected » | My mail carrier can go directly to hell » | Death Cab, 2; Franz, 1 » | Diamonds are for losers » | Some spring cleaning »

I won! Oh, wait, maybe not.


I got a call the other day from a place called Healthtek Enterprises (according to my call display) asking me to participate in a survey. The woman I spoke to wasn't clear about what it was about, so I asked her to clarify, and she simply stated, "it's about products in your home that clarify the air and your environment." Um, okay, shoot.

After the five-question survey (that were not at all the type of questions I expected with regard to the topic,) the representative happily informed me that to thank me for participating, I would be entered into a draw to win a prize. They'd be calling me back if I won. I thought, "I'll probably be hearing back from them, then."

Sure enough, this afternoon I got another call:

Me: Hello?
HT: Hi, is this Rebecca?
Me: Yes it is.
HT: Rebecca, I'm calling from Healthtek and you participated in a phone survey for us the other day. Do you recall doing that?
Me: Yes, I think so.
HT: Well, I'm
calling to let you know that you have won our daily draw for your choice between
two prizes - an all-expenses paid weekend trip for two, or a set of high-quality
knives. Which would you like to choose?

By now this just smacks of some weird scheme, and I wanted out. But on the slim chance that it could be for real, and to see what would happen if I went along with it, I decided I'd go for the knives, (since I never did get any for Christmas.)

Me: Um, okay, I'll go for the knives.
HT: Okay, we'll send them right out to you. In the meantime, we'll have someone come and explain to you about our air-filter system and it's benefits.
Me: Hold on, someone's coming here to
do some kind of demonstration?
HT: Yes, that's how we get our business, is through word-of-mouth.
Me: Yeah, I don't think so. I just...
HT: Thank you - *click*
Me: ?!

So I'm guessing I don't get my knives then, you bastards??

I did a little preliminary research and found that not only do they apparently not have a website, but I found these comments on a message board:

HealthTek Enterprises is a legit company that is in the air purification business (check out the TSE). Yes, they have telemarketers calling at all times of the day, but what company doesn't these days??? If you take a 30 second survey your name is entered in a draw that will take place in September.
Then they call back to say you were chosen as the winner of either a portable BBQ, a set of steak knives (incl. the wood block) or a 3 night stay at one of 80 hotels located across Canada. Only catch is you need to sit through a 1 hour presentation when they deliver the prize you have chosen.
We didn't think 1 hour was too much time to spend, considering we will now be spending 3 nights at the Grand Okanagan Resort in Kelowna over the July long weekend, courtesy of HealthTek Ent. And we didn't even have to make a purchase. This is no different than sitting through a 1-1/2 hour timeshare presentation to get a free rental car while you're in Mexico.
Work the system - it gives you a few free perks here and there and makes life more exciting.


I did check the TSE, or TSX as it's better known, and there is no listing for this company at all. (I did find listings under "Vacuum systems - home sales.") My suspicion is that that particular post was by someone from the company itself, or someone who did not end up getting their trip in the end. What benefit does the company have to demonstrate their product to someone who does not buy, then pay for them to go on a weekend trip at a nice hotel?

The healthtek prize is your choice of a portable bbq, steak knoves, or hotel gift certificates. The catch is that they have to hand deliver the "prize" and demonstrate their "indoor air quality system." I don't know how legit this is, but I would check with the BBB before allowing them into your home.


Healthtek Enterprises NEVER gives away the trip - they always say they are OUT of trip packages - and offer the block of knives instead. My daughter lasted six hours as a telemarketer for this bogus company and they never paid her. They will try to sell you a $10,000 vaccuum with some slick salesperson.


Maybe they are legit, but their poor marketing "techniques" turned me right off. If your product is of any quality, there is no way you should have to be offering bogus vacations and crap prizes just to get yourself in people's houses to sit through a demo about your product. And you DEFINITELY don't offer someone a prize and then don't follow through because they don't want your product information!

If that's how you have to do it, I would question the validity and quality of your product.

So here's my "word-of-mouth" for them: Avoid this ridiculous company!

So, are they still coming over or what?

I can't believe you chose knives over a weekend away!

Wow...you must've really wanted some knives to actually say you'd accept their prize.

Nothing is as good as it looks.

As soon as somebody says they have a survey, or an offer, or anything I didn't ask for, I hang up. Forget it- it's a waste of my energy. Kudos to you for sticking it through, though, you're kinder than I am!

i've had someone call 2 times about me winning a trip to the bahamas..now any time they call all i have to hear is the fake "hello" and i hang up. i used to make it to "a free trip to the bahamas" before i knew it was a scam.

I said the knives because I knew it was some kind of crap offer. In hindsight it might have been more fun to ask for the trip, but in my mind, I'm thinking..."seriously, where's the catch?"

Either way, she hung up on me before getting any further info, so I guess they aren't coming and whether I'd picked knives or a trip, it's all moot now because they have no way of knowing where to send the goods. Plus I don't want their crappy vacuum, so I guess they're going to recind their offer of a prize that I supposedly won. Hmph.

Hey Carly, Flap's looking for a vacuum isn't she? Maybe I'll send them her phone number! *snort*

Awwww, thanks fot thinking of me Bex!
Shaun and I once killed a very painful hour in Whistler listening to a timeshare presentation.We kept asking ourselves "should we bolt?" every time the guy turned his back. We stuck through it though, and actually ended up feeling sorry for the poor schmuck who was hoping to make a commision off of us. We dined at Hy's that night with our well earned gift certificate and I believe I enjoyed a $55 blue cheese crusted filet mignon. I guess we didn't feel too bad after all. Take that sucka!

Funny - I filled something out at their booth at the Home Show about 5 years ago. They called to tell me we had won a photography package and knives. So they came to my house, did their stupid demo (was only about 20 mins) and gave me a box that had a set of carving knives! I never did get my photography package (it probably would've been a coupon at Sears Portrait Studios). Rat bastards.

I did that survey too, and they came within 20 min to give me my knives. Only I forgot to tell my husband and he kicked the guy out the door and told him never to come back. I got the knives though, I think I gave them away as a christmas present that year.......

So glad I found this!!! I just got the call that I had "won" ... I'm definitely not answering the door when they show up later!

I am glad I found this - same thing happened to me last week. My husband thought he won, but we should of known better we never win anything. Then when it was delivered we sat through a extremly long demonstration about air purifiers and vaccums. No one ever said there would be a demonstration - we thought we had won a prize. If anyone gets a call ignore them its a waste of time.

We sat thru the whole 2hr. demo - nice vacumn - but when we wouldn't buy one the sales person dumped the vacumn cleaner contents onto our carpet and used our own machine to reclean it. His vacumn left a circle mark on our carpet. Then the 3 day trip prize is with World Wide Travel Centre - a time share thing! You have to send a $50.00 deposit when you book and give your credit card and are expected to sit through a 90 min. sales pitch!! - forget it - live and learn!! Kathy

also glad I found this. they are now doing door to door questionnaires in the Interior. sounds like I'm likely to get a call on their "draw date". not interested, that's for sure.

does health tek even exist? they are recruting 24 folks to be salesmen in my town of 60,000offering $3075 base rate/month to do these inhouse presentations. We are required to attend 12 meetings/week. They tell us they are based in Coquitlam but why can't I find them on the web? I can't even find them on any vancouver business directory or business lisence registry. This is some sort of pyramid scam! Why would anyone buy one from them when you can get one on ebay for cheaper? or better yet, at the filterqueen website? Everyone like myself, feeling the pain of our economy right now, beware, this is absolute horse shit! unless there's something I'm missing.

Does Healthtek Enterprises inc. even exist? These guys are recruting 24 folks in my town of 60,000 to attand 12 in house meetings/week. They promise a base rate of $3075/month plus a comission. Why cant I find them on the web? Not even on the vancouver buisness directory or business license registry. It looks like a pyramid scam to me. Also, why would anyone buy a purifier from Healthtek when you can get one directly from the filter queen website for likely alot cheaper? This all sounds like a well established scandal unless I'm missing something.

Same things... Doors to doors survey on the Sunshine Coast!!!
Like someone says, "Live and Learn"
Thanks everyone.

Healthtek Enterprises Inc., eh? Been playing phone tag with these guys for about 3 mos now.(By the way they come up on my phone as H E I) Thought they lost interest, but NOOO! My hook was a $100.00 gas coupon, that they remind me of every time they call. Now I was interested in the "filter" thing as my wife and one daughter have allergies and love pets. (An aside: Every thing I found says to reduce allergens VACUUM frequently. That go me thinking after the call today "Filtration system, wasn't that Filter Queens old line?" A buddy tried "sales" with them after HS) So I'm searching and all I find is references to vaccum, vaccum, and SKETCHY. Seriously in the IT era you gotta wonder about a company with no web presence. Next time they call I have to break it off, creepy stalker company.

It's pathetic that a company has to stoop so low in order to try to make sales. This is a message the employees of Healthek, why don't you all go and get some education,so you are not in survival mode, and can earn a decent living using your brain instead of basing your lively hood on plain stupidy in thinking that the public would fall for such a ridiculous scam! It's such a joke that someone could actually do such mindless work, calling people with the slight hope they would find some as stupid as themselves to fall for a ridulous sales pitch. This is a message to the public, if you see a call come in from 604 520-3565, DO NOT WAIST YOUR TIME IN ANSWERING. This is Healthtek's number, and it's a total waist of time talking to those fools. If you think about it, why would someone buy their garbage vacuum for $4000 when you can buy a better quality vacuum at Sears for $400.

Thanks for this blog. I just came across an ad from this company on craigslist and googled their name to check them out. I won't be wasting my time on this one.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/sls/1293408537.html

that's not the only business doing that out there. Anyway we had a friend in that type of business and she came over to do the presentation which she brought her husband and son with. They were selling a vacuum for I think $3,000? Which was actually very good, but many like it today plus it was wayyy to much hassle. Skipping to the end we bought it. We get a free set of knives for listening to the presentation and if we buy it we could either get a carpet cleaner or a set of nice pots and pans. Without thinking we got the pans:( Anyway it's not much really of a scam but more like an annoying way to buy something. It's the company people you should really be annoyed not the salespeople because it's just another living to make money. I'm thinking they get paid with commission. So they have to sell high if they want to pay their employees. But trust me there are way worse companies and systems out there.

I just posted the thing right before this and i forgot to mention that i only came across this article because i saw a job ad and wanted to look up the company..1st article in google :P. I bought the vacuum about 3 to 4 years ago still works i think but don't use it if anybody wants it i'll sell it for $50 bucks :P $2500 discount.

I also just fell for this... thinking that maybe there was some good in this. But after doing my research and reading all about this, I am DEFINITELY not waiting around for my 6:30 appointment.

I actually tried to call them to cancel it and get them to take me off their calling/contact list, and no answer! go figure! I guess that's their problem that someone is going to waste their time coming to my place when I'm not home.

Ok, I tracked down an actual number for them, and someone answered, so I was able to cancel my appointment.

(604) 520-3565‎

I feel kind of bad for the people that work there... I've worked as a telemarketer before while I was in school and it was not fun. Telemarketing is EVIL. Don't get mad at the people calling you, just tell them to remove you from their calling list and not to call again.

Some prick came door-to-door at 9:30 at night and scared the *&%$ out of my babysitter and son because he started asking all kinds of weird questions and then wouldn't let them close the door. He left behind a form informing me that I am "now registered to win"...called the cops...next call is to BBB.

Thanks so much for posting this! I got a phone call from them today looking to speak with my bf, who now that I look at the little slip they gave him spoke with them yesterday when they came walking up our driveway. As soon as I said he was not home they just said "Ok bye" and hung up. So glad I googled them before we took them seriously. They said we were entered to win a $500 cash shopping spree with the drawing held on March 17, 2010.

I just had the same experience, 500 dollar shopping spree draw, they called and asked if i wanted a car care kit or 3 nights hotels at up to 80 locations across north america. now they are coming on friday, maybe ill just let the dogs get really muddy and then jump all over them when they show up. or i just wont be there.

P.S. my call was from 520-3437, just rings if you call it back, the number posted above ((604)520-3565) works, i just tried it "heathtek, may i help you" ya, stop harassing people.

Thank you so much for posting this comment! A friend of mine told me she was referred to this company for a job, and received a call the other day that her interview was successful and that she would be starting work on Monday. She then told me about this "company that pays you ridiculous amounts of money to sell air purifiers". Of course I was interested having just left my previous job, but knowing nothing about a company before applying isn't the way I work. Needless to say I don't want to have anything to do with this company no matter how much money you can make!!

I have been workin for HealthTek now for a few months. We do give out free gifts on a daily basis. In our region we have the option for either a vacation package or a car care kit...Even though we do make more money by selling our products, we do get paid just for showing our system in an in-house demonstration. There is never an obligation to buy anything, the gift is yours just for watching, but our products have been around since 1928 and we offer a lifetime warrenty with our products.

@Gord-
Everybody I talked to on my block just happened to
get "the winning call" WOW!!!! This type if bull$&@" has got to stop!!!!! It goes back to the old addich "don't come looking for me I will come looking for you"
I never stuck around for my appointment that Wasn't even confirmed@ 10:30 yesterday. I explained to the woman who called I did not know what my wife would be doing today, as both of us had to be home for the demonstration. She explained someone would call at 9:30. No call at 9:30, and I told my wife we'd better get the he'll out of the house "just in case they showed up" Well wouldn't you know my cell phone rings at 10:30 asking where I am!!!!! I explained to the guy that this was a scam and wasn't interessted. This bastard actual had the gawl to start arguing with me about the appointment that I NEVER even had!!!!!!! I told him I bet he was all out of vacation packages and would have to settle for the knives right!!! Oh no no no no, was his response. I finally told the jerk to remove my name and not to ever bother me again.

Came to my door a few minutes ago- talking about air pollution and if it was clearer outside or inside and that i'd be entered in for a draw- never think to just say no or not give out my number- but again put in for a $500 shopping spree- i don't answer unknown numbers anyways so that won't be a problem.....1st time i've had anyone like that come to the door.

20 minutes til they get here...... I'm gonna grill this guy, and see what I find... I'll post here later;)

I received a call this morning for this exact thing. Thinking I could get a free 2 night stay at a hotel, I thought why not and booked an appointment. I got to thinking after, this wasn't quite right so I looked it up on the internet and found this. I as well tried phoning and couldn't get an answer to cancel my appointmnet, and thankfully someone posted another phone number to call. I called this number and he cancelled my appointment right away no questions asked. The phone number is 604-520-3565. It's worth the call.

Just thought I'd let you know that Health Tech is still selling demonstrations. My husband received a call that was bang on in comparison with other posts, gifts and all! Used the phone # posted (604-520-3565)to contact salesperson. Number on call display had no answer.

I work for Health Tek, and yes I don't like working there, but there are many perks and I am also extremely realistic to the point that it sometimes comes off as negative..anyways, you guys have to understand that it is our job to call you and book appointments, by working for these people we are not representing them nor what they are selling and we are also not promoting what they are doing. I'm young, I need money and my mother isn't working now..I've applied to many different places and nothing..I applied to HT and i got the job. You also have to understand that you have to have a nice personality in order to work there. Please do not be too harsh to the sales people, they are just doing their jobs. You getting upset at us is like beating up someone at Mc Donald's for selling chicken nuggets, just because the chicken nuggets are 40 % chicken and 60 % chemicals and some other nasty stuff. They are just working, making money, feeding their children, finding a way to pay their bills every month. Where I work at, the ppl are very nice but yes they are in denial because they can't just accept that HT should probably find some different ways to sale their products. I am sorry that you guys have had bad experiences, but you gotta know that there are also many different HT locations, so maybe it's not Coquitlam calling but somewhere else. Oh and before i leave, I would so watch someone show me a product and then get my gift and politely decline if i wasn't interested...just sayin'

Yesterday i got a poker jackpot card in the mail from healthteh inc. At first i didnt know what company it was and i wouldnt win anyways, so i scratch the cards. And i have won, i call them, they said they will come over tomorrow to my house to demonstrate a certain product and after that you can get the price. i was excite at first but after reading the post in there, i know that it might be a scam so i decided to call them and cancel the appointment. So when i call back i had a REALLY BAD experience. Honestly Healthtec, if you are planning to give out prices to others, please first, provide more info other than we will be coming to your house, that.... sorry i dont think it will work. all you ask for during the phone conversation is your address. Thats not right, and second, please ask your staff to change their behavior, what kind of attitude was that on the phone, i called saying i want to cancel my appointment as i will be out for the whole day today, then the guy from healthtec said: "oh then, how about tomorrow or how about tonight?". I told them i cant, in which i am seriously busy for these few days. so i told them i will call back as i am not sure about my schedule. Then he said : " I am sure you are busy" and he hang up on me. okkk........ what was that?? Honestly even if i need the product that the company were selling, i wont be getting it from your company. If you want businesses, change your employees attitudes and show more info!!! other than asking people of their address and showing up at the door.
I wonder did anyone let them get into your house?? Anyone with that experience before???

Got the jackpot postcard in mail today.
Thought it's suspicious so I decided to check on the Internet first.
Glad I found this post. THANKS!

I had the demo--they never told me it would take more than an hour. I had to kick the salesperson out--I actually had an appointment I had to get to, so I felt a bit bad but that was it--I was told I wasn't allowed to collect the prize till the whole demo was over so I don't qualify--I even went so far as to ask if he was paid for his demo--turns out they're not paid for the demo till they've finished the whole thing, so he'd wasted a good hour of his time--not my fault--they're not clear about what they are bringing to your house or how long they'll be there-and they don't answer that on the phone when you ask--I went so far as to reschedule am appointment so he'd be paid for his time(no intention to buy the product, mind you)--he never showed and they're never getting into this house again :-)

They had a kid (about 12-16) come to my house to do a survey for school on air quality, I quickly answered his questions on the air quality, and that there was daily prizes and a grand prize, never bothered to ask what as I thought I was helping a child in school with a project. Got a call yesterday that "I won the daily prize" for the air survey, what gets me is she needed to verify information, I checked the caller id that said healthteck entp, I was to pick either a 3 day trip or slap chop thing (thought maybe the school had it donated) so of course I said trip, she started with verifying information I never gave out, which also was very incorrect, I am not married and I do not own my home, anyway she then said about the demonstration, I thought sure I'll sit through it for a trip, someone was to call me today before they showed up, they called twice, the first time it rang a few times and thought oh I missed it, second time was only one ring once I picked up the line was disconnected,

I want to thank you for this blog! I received the exact same call. I then Googled HealthTek and found this blog. I met the guy before he even came onto my property and politely but firmly told him I was NOT interested and to NOT even enter my property. He got back in his vehicle and left. THANK YOU!!!

I too had a visit from a person doing an air quality survey. About a month later got a call. Offering a hotel stay or a car kit all I needed to do was have someone come over and do a air purification demonstration. And I would also be entered into a $20,000 draw. I have alot of allergies... But figured it would probably be too expensive they said no obligation so I said why not.. Im single and was kinda weary of being alone with a stranger so I arranged for people to be there. After a view failed appts. He came he seamed very nice. The products air purifyer and vacuum where really nice. But too expensive. He stayed so late my company had to leave and I was with him alone. Advice to singles out there that are interested in the products. MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT LEFT ALONE with the demonstrators. Especially op sex req a female if your female etc. I think he put the moves on me to try to sell his product. Need I say more? Oh I did get my car kit:-) and ps before you dis the telemarketers be one for a day! Just say no if you dont want it!

I did the quick survey thinking nothing of it, try just called saying my name was entered into a draw for $20,000 and won the daily prize... Right... Hung up on them! What a scheme! Thanks for this blog post!!

@ladyfinger (who I guess works for them)

"by working for these people we are not representing them nor what they are selling and we are also not promoting what they are doing."

Actually, by working for them you are doing exactly all of those things. If you don't agree with their practices, don't work for them. I think people can blame you just as much as the company, because you, by working for them, are the company.

Oh I guess it was anonymous, not ladyfinger. Sorry!

Oct 26, 2012 - this # has been trying to call us for weeks now at all times of the day. My husband picked up the ph today and listened to the speel. Was going to book an appt but checked with me first. I am a skeptic and said NO way. If it sounds to good to be true it generally is. I also never answer calls from #'s I don't recognize.

Post a Comment