« Home | The Dumbest Song that I Just Can't Help But Love » | I'd like to teach the world to sing... » | Tom Cruise is an ass »

Belinda Stronach needs a good slap

So now that the furor is dying down, and Belinda Stronach is settling in nicely with the Liberal party (and the cabinet position she won for moving in with them), I thought I would review the reasons why I think she is the biggest farce to politics.

First of all, the Conservatives...oh, the Conservatives. Or maybe more specifically, Stephen Harper. What in the hell are you thinking, Stephen? First Belindagate, then this Grewal thing? Good lord, Stephen, you need to get a handle on your people here! Hello! What in the hell was one of your MPs doing at YVR asking people to carry a package on a flight for him for? Am I on crazy pills, or do you just not do stuff like that, MP or not?? What did you say to him Stephen, when it was decided he would take stress leave? I hope you gave him a good pop in the chops for doing something so dumb and making the party look even worse while it was still barely dog-paddling in the political waters after Belinda's exit stage left and the big showdown with the minority government that ended up just a little poof of smoke out of the back tailpipe.

But back to Belinda. There was a time when I thought that Belinda Stronach was one of the bright spots for the Conservative party and I thought that she could be the one that could lead the party into the 21st century, social policy-wise. Well that was all blown to pieces the day she announced that she was leaving the party altogether and going to the loving arms of the Liberal party, not only to hop into the happy bandwagon over there, but into a nice cushy job, thanks to Paul-I've-got-you-covered-Martin. One newspaper article that day stated that Paul Martin could "barely contain his glee" at the news conference that day, and boy, that could not be summed up more accurately. Belinda seems positively glowing, and why not? Things look pretty bright for her, and who gives a crap about the Conservative party in their crucial hour while they are trying to shake things up in Ottawa, not to mention Peter McKay, who I previously thought was a dog who sold out on the Progressive Conservatives to the rabid Reform party, (which still makes me sick,) but Belinda's kick in the teeth to him actually made me feel a little sorry for him. Apparently he had no idea that she was cheating on him, politically anyway, until the announcement.

There are not many political events I can think of where I have seen more blatant disloyalty and disrespect. When the Conservatives are really in a position, especially due to the Gomery Inquiry and the scandal shrouding the Liberals, to make a difference and pick up the support the Libs have lost. But freakin' Belinda has to screw it all up and decide some crap about not agreeing with where the leader is taking the party. Belinda, hun, join the freakin' club! I'm waiting for the Conservatives to wake up from Harperdom and get on with the 21st century on these issues too, but I'm not walking out because someone dangles a carrot in front of my face! Part of being a conservative means that when you don't like something, you get off your duff and do something about it, you don't whine that you don't like what the boss is doing and slink out the back door. Good grief, whatever happened to a little old-fashioned leadership?