« Home | Tom Cruise is an ass »

I'd like to teach the world to sing...

It was Pitt Meadows Day on Saturday. There was a parade in the morning, and during the day there were all kinds of activities and events going on, and fireworks that night. For such a small municipality, there was quite the turnout.

We went to the parade in the morning, and the streets were lined with happy parade-watchers, and it was nice that many of them were our neighbours whom we knew.

I missed most of the activities during the afternoon since my 2-year-old unfortunately has a habit she has picked up from her parents, (long naps) and she was asleep all afternoon. But I had to run a few small errands and when I drove out onto the main road, I noticed tons of people walking along the streets, the side roads, and taking in activities and events going on at local businesses, and I felt like it was almost like a little resort town, where people are on vacation, happy, and enjoying life and the outdoors.

But my favorite part of the day was the fireworks. We took the kids and a blanket and found a spot on the field at Bonson Park, surrounded by other families and kids running around, people laughing and having a good time, chatting with neighbours and friends, as the sun went down. During the fireworks show, everyone was cheering and oohing and ahhing (okay, yes, me included.) After a particularly cool part where some fireworks were lit along the top of a baseball fence with white sparks falling to the ground resembling a waterfall, there was a wave of applause and whistles in the darkness. At that moment I had a feeling that we were all together in this world, humanity as a family almost, and we were all so small on this big planet, helpless against the forces of nature, enjoying the good times as neighbours. A little corny I guess, but when I heard everyone clapping and whistling at the end of the fireworks, showing appreciation for a show that their neighbours and friends have put on for us to celebrate our town, the place we live, I have to admit I had a little sense of pride and a little lump in my throat.

There's nothing quite like community to bring people together and make us realize that we are all just human beings living our lives together on this big planet.